For students working on research papers, the following is a quick run-down on how to install and use the Zotero reference management plugin/software/service to make research, citation, and bibliography work easier.
Installing the Zotero Plugins
- Launch Firefox (Zotero is not designed to work with any other browsers).
- In Finder, connect to the Public share on the student server as Guest. How to connect to a server in OS X.
- Navigate to the Zotero folder. Utilities → Zotero.
- In Firefox, open the Add-ons window. Tools → Add-ons.
- Drag the file zotero-2.0.9-1.xpi from the Finder window into the Add-ons window.
- When prompted to install the add-on, click Install Now.
- When installation is complete, click Restart Firefox, then confirm the restart in the dialog that follows.
- Repeat Steps 5-7 with the Zotero-OpenOffice-Plugin-3.0b3.xpi file.
- Confirm that both plugins were installed properly.
- In Firefox, the word Zotero should appear in the lower-right-hand corner of the window.
- Launch OpenOffice.org. The Zotero toolbar should appear in the toolbars in OpenOffice.
- You should now be ready to begin using Zotero. See the quick walk-throughs below on using Zotero.
Let's pretend we are writing a research paper on Joseph Heller's Catch-22. During our research, we might find an online article we'd like to use as a reference for our paper. Zotero makes referencing web pages extremely easy.
Creating a Reference from a Web Page
Creating a Reference from Scratch
On the other hand, we may find a book or artlcle that supports our paper well. We can also manually create references.
Adding an Endnote in OpenOffice.org using Zotero
Finally, we can easily add references we've collected to our OpenOffice.org documents via the Zotero toolbar.
Zotero can also be used to help generate your Works Cited page, and adheres to any number of styles (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.).
As it is described above, Zotero is for use only in your user account. If you'd like to use the references you collect here on your home computer, or use the references to create endnotes/footnotes in Microsoft Word, check out the links below.
- Installing Word Processor Plugins for Zotero 2.1
- Data & File Syncing with Zotero
- Zotero.org's Quick Start Guide