Uploading a File Archive to Moodle
Uploading a file archive is an easy way to add several files to your Moodle file store at once. The process involves creating an archive, uploading it, then extracting the files from it into your file store. Check out the video for a walk-through of the process:
- Gather files you wish to upload into one location (folder). Select them all, right-click (or Control+click) on one of them, and select "Compress n Items", where n is the number of files selected. You should now have a file named Archive.zip.
- Log into Moodle and navigate to the course to which you'd like make the files available. Click on Files in the left menu. This opens the Files store for that course.
- On the Files main page, click the Upload a File button. On the next screen, click Browse..., find the Archive.zip file created in the first step, and click the Open button, and then click Upload this file.
- Once returned to the Files main page, you should see the Archive.zip file listed in the Files store list. In order to extract the files from the archive, simply click Unzip, and click Ok to confirm the action. You should be returned to the Files main page, where you'll see that the files from the archive have been added to the list alongside the Archive.zip file.
- Since the files have been extracted, the Archive.zip file is no longer necessary, and can be deleted. To do this, check the box next to the filename and choose "Delete completely" from the "With chosen files..." drop-down menu at the lower-left of the Files list. Confirm this action when prompted to do so.
Your files should now be uploaded successfully, and you can create Resources that point to them as you would any other files you've uploaded in the past. You may also wish to sort the files into subfolders; this may be done after you've extracted the archive in the Files main page, or you can upload the archive file directly to a subfolder, and extract it there.